Service Description* is a NISW offered in partnership with St. James/Assiniboia School Division
* provides orientation and settlement services to immigrant newcomers
* connects newcomers to information, programs and resources in St. James-Assiniboia. Services are offered in English, French and Arabic.
* provides English language conversation circles and group interest seminars, literacy classes, children, youth and family programming, referral to formal EAL programs.
* offers employment supports: resume preparation, job interviewing skills, job fairs, referrals to volunteer opportunities, information on Workplace Health and Safety.
* offers referrals to housing agencies and mediation between client and property managers.
* offers referrals to health services: going with clients to appointments and interpreting, helping newcomers navigate the health care system, organize presentations on personal health and safety and family living.
* helps clients to navigate government services: forms, documents (including Income Tax support), accessing benefits.
* helps with communication with schools: assist with children's enrolment, mediate disputes between client and school, provide cultural orientation and support for school staff and Canadian families in the community, as well as for newcomers.
* presents strategies for alleviating poverty: donation depots for clothing and household goods, assistance with shopping, paying bills and managing finances
* offers parenting programs: assistance for families who are having difficulty with children due to cultural differences, language deficits and other social challenges
* provides referrals to appropriate agencies for help with citizenship issues.