Service Description* provides settlement services for permanent residents settling in the St. Vital and St. Boniface communities
* is a NISW
* also offers cooking and nutrition classes; English conversation circles; a parenting program; school preparation; sewing and conversation circles.
* settlement services may include
- employment supports
- referrals to housing agencies and mediation between client and property managers
- referrals to health services: going with clients to appointments and interpreting, navigating the health care system, organizing presentations on healthy personal and family living.
- helping clients to navigate government services: forms, documents (including Income Tax support), accessing benefits
- communication with schools: assist with children's enrolment, mediate disputes between client and school, provide cultural orientation and support for families with children in school.
- strategies for alleviating poverty: donation depots for clothing and household goods, assistance with shopping, paying bills.
- parenting programs: assistance for families who are having difficulty with children due to cultural differences, language deficits and other social challenges.
- referral to appropriate agencies for help with citizenship issues