Service Description* is an assessment and early intervention unit for abused children and their families.
* provides assessment and/or intervention services, consultation and educational services to community professionals.
* conducts medical and/or psycho-social assessments.
Are conducted through the Child Protection Centre Clinic, the Child Protection Development Clinic and/or the Children's Hospital Emergency Department.
Child Protection Centre Clinic conducts physical and sexual abuse medical assessments. Sexual abuse assessments include play preparation prior to the medical examination and a brief social work assessment of the family situation where necessary.
Child Protection Development Clinic is for pre-school aged children in care whose development or behaviour is suspected to have been affected by abuse, neglect or deprivation.
Children's Hospital Emergency Department offers after-office hours emergency treatment for physical injuries requiring immediate attention. The Child Protection Centre will follow up these cases the next business day.
* parental capacity assessments are provided on request for families where abuse has or is suspected to have occurred
* psychological assessments of abused children
* psychometric assessment of parents' intellectual functioning and/or mental health diagnosis
Child Behavioural Specialist conducts post-disclosure play sessions, personal safety teaching, consultation to daycare centres and foster homes
* also offers case management consultations and treatment recommendations and referrals