- provides information to landlords and tenants on their rights and responsibilities under The Residential Tenancies Act and The Life Leases Act. Provides information by phone, through walk-in interview or by letter.
- investigates complaint alleging contravention of the Residential Tenancies Act or the Life Leases Act
- regulates residential rent increases throughout the province by annually establishing a percentage amount above which rents cannot be increased without approval of the Branch
- mediates disputes between landlords and tenants (e.g. deposit claims, claims for compensation, notices of termination, among others)
- adjudicates disputes between landlords and tenants, either at a hearing or from written information received from a landlord and a tenant during investigation. These decisions may be appealed to the Residential Tenancies Commission.