Service Description* provides assistance, support and information to individuals whose partners have been charged with a domestic violence offence and assists individuals who receive police services for domestic violence incidents that do not result in charges or arrests. The goal is to enhance the victims' ability to make informed choices, and potentially increases their level of safety and the safety of those close to them.
* provides support or information to victims of domestic violence by:
providing information about the criminal charges and court process
* explaining the roles of those involved in the criminal justice system
* discussing safety planning
* explaining how to get protective relief orders
* offering on-going emotional support or short-term counselling
* explaining the cycle of violence and how it can be broken
* offering support throughout the court process
* preparing victims and going to court with them
* advising Crown Attorneys of concerns the victim has about their court case
* providing information and referrals to community resources.